Top things to Do
Due to its coastal location, most of Cape Cod’s best recreational activities involve a beach or water.
Explore the tranquil Audubon Walking Trails, such as Long Pasture Wildlife Sanctuary. Other must-dos include visiting The Taylor-Bray Farm, a historic farm listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and seeing the cranberry bogs. Annabelle and Simon Hunton, innkeepers of The Platinum Pebble Boutique Inn in West Harwich, agree that the cranberry farms are worth a visit and recommend going to the one in Harwich. If you enjoy live music and entertainment, they say to catch a show at Harwich Junior Theatre.
Lawrence Shapiro, innkeeper of Inn at the Oaks in Eastham, says a visit to Truro Vineyards, a family-owned winery, can’t be missed. For the adventurous type, he recommends exploring the area on stand-up paddleboards and Goose Hummock kayak tours. For something a little less strenuous, he recommends taking a seal tour along Monomoy Island.
A perfect evening can consist of grabbing a take-out dinner and eating at Hardings Beach on Nantucket Sound. They say another fun activity is to get a clam digging permit for a few dollars and go to Stage Harbor at low tide and get a bucket of steamers. It’s also entertaining to go down to the fish pier and watch the day boats unload. For a unique getaway, they suggest renting the Race Point Lighthouse and staying for a night or two.
David and Joan Bruce, innkeepers of The Tern Inn in West Harwich, recommend visiting Lighthouse Beach in Chatham and walking out to see the seals. If you like to cycle, they say you can ride the bike paths to freshwater ponds and have lunch at Pleasant Lake General Store. The innkeepers also tell guests who love the outdoors to explore Nickerson State Park ponds and hiking paths.
Many of our innkeepers say local theater companies abound in Cape Cod and put on a great show. The Tern Inn suggests taking a stroll on Wednesday in Harwich Port to hear live bands, and seeing a concert in Chatham on a Friday.
For a fun evening, The Platinum Pebble Boutique Inn suggests seeing live music at Land Ho! in Harwich or entertainment at Cape Cod Melody Tent in Hyannis. If you enjoy independent films, don't miss the chance to see a show at Cape Cinema in Dennis.
The Tern Inn adds that sports fans will love attending a Cape Cod Summer League Baseball game.
Top Day Trips
Cape Cod isn't very large, so it's easy to hop in a car and explore other towns and villages. It's also very close to Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard islands, which offer even more to see and do.
Inn at the Oaks recommends whale-watching in Provincetown, Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. “Both places have great shopping and places to eat, but I think the beach is better in Provincetown,” says the innkeeper.
The Tern Inn advises guests to rent bikes in Provincetown and take a peaceful ride to the ocean through the sand dunes.
The Platinum Pebble Boutique Inn recommends taking the local ferry from Harwich directly to Nantucket. Once there, they suggest exploring Nantucket Town, visiting the Whaling Museum and the many artisan stores, and renting a bike and cycling out to the beautiful Siasconset Beach.
Where to Eat
Here are some of the top Cape Cod restaurants that our innkeepers recommend to guests.
- Ardeo Grille in Yarmouth Port
- Barnstable Tavern in Barnstable
- Bookstore & Restaurant in Wellfleet
- Buca's in Harwich
- Buckies Biscotti in Dennisport
- Clancy's in Dennisport
- Hot Chocolate Sparrow in Orleans
- Jake Rooney's in Harwichport
- Ocean House Restaurant in Dennisport
- Old Yarmouth Inn in Yarmouthport
- Outer Bar & Grille at Wequassett Resort in Harwich
- Sam's Deli in North Eastham
- Scargo Cafe in Dennis
- Squires in Hanover
- The Beacon Room in Orleans
- The Dolphin on Cape Cod in Barnstable
- The Impudent Oyster in Yarmouth Port
- The Oyster Company in Dennisport
Where to Shop
Cape Cod is full of independent shops and boutiques. Innkeepers recommend these stores for the best Cape Cod shopping.
- Atlantic Spice Company in North Truro
- Back in Tyme in West Harwich
- Cape Cod Braided Rugs in Harwich
- Cuffy's of Cape Cod in West Dennis, Provincetown, Orleans, & Chatham
- Dr. Gravity's Kite Shop in Harwichport
- Peterson's Market in Yarmouth Port
- Plum Porch in Marstons Mills
- Puritan Cape Cod in Hyannis, Chatham, Mashpee Commons, & Falmouth
- Red Fish Blue Fish in Hyannis
- Scargo Pottery & Art Gallery in Harwich
- Shift in Hyannis
- Tale of the Cod in Chatham
- The BARN & Co./Details in Dennis
- The Cape Cod Dog in Eastham
- The Potted Geranium in West Harwich
- Wellfleet Flea Market in Wellfleet
- Yankee Ingenuity in Chatham