FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE FROM BEDandBREAKFAST.COM – October 1, 2009
CONTACT: Marti Mayne, 207-846-6331, Marti.Mayne@BedandBreakfast.com
Sandy Soule, 203-637-7642, Sandy.Soule@BedandBreakfast.com
BEDANDBREAKFAST.COM SURVEY SHOWS RECESSION IS
RELAXING ITS GRIP ON B&B TRAVELERS
B&B travelers are willing to cut back on coffee, cigarettes and ice cream to save for travel; nearly 85% of B&B travelers will take the same number or more trips in the coming months
Austin, TX – BedandBreakfast.com, the largest worldwide B&B directory and reservation network, surveyed 45,000 B&B travelers in September 2009. In comparison to consumer surveys from the first and second quarters of 2009, fewer B&B travelers are cutting back on travel because of the recession, and the percentage of travelers planning to spend less on travel has diminished from 55% to 45% from the first quarter of the year to the present. Nevertheless, the “new normal” reflects a greater awareness in spending: when BedandBreakfast.com asked travelers which expenses they’d cut back on to save for B&B travel, the majority said they would give up their morning take-out coffee to save money for travel. Going out for ice cream, giving up massages and manicures, and even cigarettes, were also mentioned as ways to save money for B&B getaways. Interesting that travel is more important than coffee, calories, or cigarettes to over 50% of respondents!
“Clearly, travel patterns changed in the last year, as travelers tightened their belts and stayed closer to home,” said Sandy Soule, Marketing VP at BedandBreakfast.com. “Yet these patterns worked out well for inngoers, as B&Bs tend to be an easy one-tank trip from most metropolitan areas, and add so much extra value to a getaway,” finished Soule. BedandBreakfast.com recently illustrated how B&B travelers can save nearly $230 on added value during a two-night B&B stay including breakfast for two, free parking, free wi-fi access, complimentary refreshments and desserts, plus BedandBreakfast.com’s $50-$100 savings for online reservations.
Here are a few important observations from BedandBreakfast.com’s third quarter traveler survey, completed by over 3,500 respondents:
- Respondents are more likely to travel in the fall then they were over the summer months, indicating that the recession is lessening its negative effect on travel. Here are the responses received in the last three quarters to the question, “is the recession having an effect on your travel plans?”
- Q1: Yes, 65%
- Q2: Yes, 61.2%
- Q3: Yes, 54.7%
- Additionally, in the Q2 survey, 79.2% of respondents said they would take the same number or more trips compared to the year before, while the Q3 survey showed that 84.1% said they would take the same or more trips as last year.
- Perhaps one of the best indicators that the recession is relaxing its grip on travel is the increase in vacation spending.
- Q1 survey: 55.7% of respondents said they would travel but spend less per day; 42.4% said they would vacation for fewer days.
- Q2 survey: 51.5% of respondents said they would still travel in the summer months, but would spend less per day. In that same survey, 43.3% said they would vacation for fewer days to save.
- Q3 survey: 44.8% said they would spend less on vacation; 37.2% said they would vacation for fewer days in order to save.
- Travelers were asked: “How important is B&B travel to you? Would give up or curtail any of the following to bolster your travel budget?” The majority (52.7%) said they would give up their morning Starbucks (or other brand) coffee to save money for travel. Going out for ice cream followed (47.7%), then massages and manicures (45%), then cigarettes (40.1%).
Read The BedandBreakfast.com Blog for a dozen tips on how to save at B&Bs, and share these ideas with readers.
About BedandBreakfast.com: Founded in 1995, BedandBreakfast.com is highly recommended by The New York Times, Real Simple, Forbes, Travel & Leisure, USA TODAY and many others. To learn about nearly 9,000 other perfect choices for your next B&B getaway, visit BedandBreakfast.com, the leading online bed and breakfast directory and reservation network worldwide. A variety of search functions and extensive maps enable inngoers to find the perfect B&B. Travelers can make reservations online, purchase The Getaway Gift Card from BedandBreakfast.com, welcomed at over 4,000 B&Bs in the U.S. and Canada, read up-to-date trip reports on The BedandBreakfast.com Blog, read and write independent reviews, and post questions on expert-hosted message boards.
Additionally, for information on a range of independently owned distinctive lodging, visit BedandBreakfast.com's sister site, www.Inns.com.
This press release was prepared for BedandBreakfast.com, 700 Brazos Street, Suite B-700, Austin, TX 78701.
# # #
High resolution photos available upon request. Please contact Marti Mayne at 207-846-6331 or Marti@BedandBreakfast.com