- Home >
Who processes your personal data?
The information we gather
At various times you may contribute your personal data to us. For example, in order to process an inquiry concerning a property, we need to know all or some of the following: your full name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and, in the case of a member's listing, a method of payment. You may also contribute personal data to us at other times, such as when registering on the Site.
How we use your personal data
Our primary purpose in collecting your personal data is to provide you with the services you requested and those which we believe will optimize your use of our Site. You agree that we may use for personal data for the following purposes:
- for the services or support you request;
- to contact you from time to time with critical user or service updates or other information important for our services;
- to customize, measure and improve our services, content and advertising;
- to promote the services or special offers or promotions related to our Site and services or those of our subsidiaries and/or affiliates;
- to compare information for accuracy, and verify it with third parties;
- to prevent activity we determine to be potentially illegal; and
If you are a member, we will also be able to contact you about your account and your use of our services.
In order for users to benefit from some of our services, we may require personal data. Examples of such services include:
Newsletters: We and the websites of our affiliates may offer different newsletters from time to time intended to enhance the services we or they offer. Users may cancel their subscription to these newsletters at any time.
Surveys: Surveys are another method by which we gather information about our users. From time to time, we request users' input in order to evaluate potential features and services. The decision to answer a survey is completely yours. We use information gathered from surveys to improve our services.
Reservations & Bookings: Travelers may reserve and book rooms for a future stay in properties owned by our members. Reservations and bookings will require that you submit your personal information and may also require credit card or other payment information.
E-Mailing Innkeepers: Travelers may send e-mails to members via the listings on our Site. If you choose to send an inquiry through these links, your personal information, including your e-mail address and any other information you supply, will be visible to the member in question so that they might reply directly to you. If you call the member, you may be asked to leave a return telephone number. Do not share information in the e-mail or phone call that you are not prepared to allow them to have, including, but not limited to, credit card and bank account information. These inquiries are both sent to the individual member you selected and to our system. The resulting e-mail is available for review only by the member to whom they were initially addressed and to our customer service employees, who may be asked by members for their past e-mail information. While the content of these e-mails is not shared with any other party, we may, from time to time, use third party e-mail servers to send and track receipt of the e-mails, and analyze the pattern of inquiry usage reported by these third party tracking systems.Caution About Phishing or False E-mails
Reviews : Travelers may leave reviews about properties of our members they stayed in and members may also respond to reviews. Travelers are urged not to put any personal data or information about themselves in any review and users may not put any personal data or information about anyone else in any review or response to a review. When submitting a review, travelers will be requested to provide a valid email address, information to confirm their stay in the property and other personal data may be requested as well.
If you receive an unsolicited e-mail that appears to be from us or one of our members that requests personal information (such as your credit card, login, or password), or that asks you to verify or confirm your account or other personal information by clicking on a link, that e-mail was likely to have been sent by someone trying to unlawfully obtain your information, sometimes referred to as a "phisher" or "spoofer." We do not ask for this type of information in an e-mail. Do not provide the information or click on the link. Note that if you clicked on a link in such an e-mail, this would not compromise your account or information that you provided to the Site. However, the sender of such an email would be able to obtain your information if you provided it to them in the link or by a return e-mail.
How We May Disclose Your Personal Data to Third Parties
We may disclose your personal data to respond to legal requirements, enforce our policies, or respond to claims that a listing or other content violates the right of others. In all cases, such information will be disclosed in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
We may also share your information with:
- one of our partners, but only if you've requested their services or to be notified by them;
- a third party performing services on our behalf and has agreed to keep such information confidential (such as the processing of your credit card payment or the conduct of an online survey, for example);
- legal or government officials in response to a verified request relating to a criminal investigation, alleged illegal activity or other governmental request, provided that we will require a court order, subpoena or similar legal procedure except when we believe in good faith that disclosure of information is necessary to prevent imminent physical harm, financial loss or to report suspected illegal activity;
- other companies or business entities, in the event we are merged with or acquired by such company or business entity.
How Do We Protect Your Personal Information Once We Have It?
We take appropriate technical and organizational measures to guard against unauthorized or unlawful processing of your personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, your personal data. While no system is completely secure, we believe the measures implemented by our site reduce the likelihood of security problems to a level appropriate to the type of data involved. We have security measures in place to protect our user database and access to this database is restricted internally.
However, it remains each user's responsibility:
- to protect against unauthorized access to your use of the Site;
- to ensure no-one else uses the Site while the user's machine is "logged on" to the Site service;
- to log off or exit from Site when not using it; and
- where relevant, to keep his/her password or other access information secret.
All personal information submitted to us is stored on a secure server. We do not store credit card numbers or related identifying information on any Site server. All such information is stored by our credit card processing partner(s), who are obligated to store such information using secure methods. We also use third parties to help us optimize our Site flow, content and advertising (see below). All of our partners are under contract with us and they are obligated to keep your information confidential.
Despite the measures taken by us that the third parties we contract with, third parties may nevertheless unlawfully intercept or access private transmissions or data. Therefore, we cannot promise and you should not expect that your personal information and private communications will always be kept confidential.
Third Party Advertising
We use third-party advertising companies to serve banner ads when you visit our Site. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements on this Site and other websites about goods and services that might be of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.
How do I correct or update my information?
We allow our users the option to change or modify information previously provided. This may be done by contacting support through our web form.
How do I opt-out of receiving marketing communications from you?
You may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by the following means:
- contact us through our web form,
- follow the instructions included in each communication or newsletter, or
- mail the request to us at 1011 W Fifth Street, Suite 300, Austin, TX 78703.
How long will we keep your personal data?
How do I contact you?