Sea Crest Buttermilk Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup currants or raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.Cut the butter into 1/2 inch cubes and distribute them over the flour mixture.
- With a pastry blender or two knives used scissor fashion, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, stir together the buttermilk, egg, and vanilla. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in currants or raisins, if desired.
- With lightly floured hands, pat the dough into an 8-inch diameter circle on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes. Using a spatula, transfer the scone to the wire rack to cool. Cut into 8 wedges. Serve warm or cool completely and store in an airtight container.