Baked Cheese Grits
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grits
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8x8 glass baking dish.
- Bring water, butter and salt to a boil in heavy med. saucepan.
- Gradually whisk in grits.
Reduce heat to medium: cook until mixture thickens slightly, stirring often, about 8 minutes.
Remove from heat.
- Add both cheeses and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Whisk milk and eggs in a small bowl. and gradually whisk this mixture into the grits.
- Pour grits into prepared dish. Bake until grits feel firm to touch in center (grits will still be soft), about 1 hour.
Let stand 10 minutes and serve.