- 5 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Thinly sliced Tasso
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 2 tablespoons Chopped parsley
- 4 cups Chicken stock
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Melt butter over low heat. Saute the tasso until slightly browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in flour and make a roux. Saute for 3 more minutes, then add chicken stock, two cups at a time, stirring until well blended. Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Finish with parsley, salt and white pepper to taste. Serve with creamy stone ground grits, or grits cakes.
- Helpful Hint: Add shrimp and roasted red peppers the last 3 minutes of cooking, then toss with pasta for a delicious dinner.