Candied Grapefruit Peel
- Shells from 4 thick-skinned grapefruits
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups sugar
- Save shells from grapefruit in refrigerator in a plastic bag. Remove membrane and cut each half grapefruit shell into 8
triangles. Soak 24 hours in a solution of 1 Tablespoon of salt per 1 quart of water. Weigh peels down to keep submerged.
- Drain. Cover well with fresh water and bring to a boil. Drain. Repeat boiling process three times to remove all bitterness.
- Put peels, 1 cup water, and 4 cups sugar into a large pot and bring to a boil. Solution will be very thick. Cook, stirring
occasionally, until syrup begins to crystallize, then lay pieces separately on a sheet of aluminum foil to continue the crystallization process.
- Let dry thoroughly. May be kept several weeks in plastic bags or jars.