Banana Courtyard¿s ENGLISH TRIFLE Recipe
- angel food or sponge cake
- 1/2 pint whipping cream
- 1 cup strawberries (cut into slices)
- 1/2 cup Maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup raspberry or apricot jam
- 1 small can Mandarin orange slices
- Kirschwasser (cherry brandy)
- 1/2 cup marsala, sweet sherry or Madiera
- 1/4 cup triple sec (orange liquor)
- 1/4 cup rum
- This is an old family recipe, that¿s been passed down through the years. Most folks serve this as dessert. In Winter, when we¿re ¿in the mood¿, we serve this on Sundays as a breakfast treat (this is a whole lot of trouble. If you give us a good reason why, we might make it for YOU!) We rarely have any left over, as guests have been caught licking their spoons and the bottom of their bowl! No one has been caught, yet, licking the bottom of the trifle bowl.
- Now comes the fun part. (*See our Custard Recipe and our Whipped Cream Recipe)
If you have a trifle bowl, you¿re in business. If you don¿t have a trifle bowl, you can use a cut glass punch bowl or any other clear bowl that will display the fruit between the layers.
Cut cake into 3 layers.
BOTTOM LAYER: Put 1st layer of cake in trifle bowl. Sprinkle with Triple Sec and rum. Add fruit, placing some around the edge, against the glass for color, and some on top of the cake. Also place between layers. Add 1/3 of the custard.
MIDDLE LAYER: Add 2nd layer of cake. Sprinkle with Kirschwasser. Spread with jam and different fruit/berry. Add 1/3 custard and ½ cup of Marsala, sweet sherry, or Madeira.
- TOP LAYER: Add 3rd layer of cake, then add fruit, the remaining custard, more Kirschwasser. Spread whipped cream over top, add the drained cherries, and Mandarin orange slices and remaining berries for garné.
This dish is best when covered (use foil to be sure it doesn¿t stick to the cream) and refrigerated for several hours or overnight.
About 8 servings.