CONTACT: Marti Mayne, 207-846-6331, Marti.Mayne@BedandBreakfast.com
Sandy Soule, 203-637-7642, Sandy.Soule@BedandBreakfast.com
VALENTINE'S DAY FOR THE LOVE-LOST - A DOZEN GREAT WAYS TO CELEBRATE SINGLEHOOD FROM BEDANDBREAKFAST.COM
The Newly Single (or Soon-to-be Single) Person's Guide to a Great Valentine's Day
Paul Simon's famous song claims "there must be fifty ways to leave your lover," but actually lists only five. "They say that breaking up is hard to do," sang Neil Sedaka, but these B&Bs make Valentine's Day a little easier for jilted lovers and the 89 million single Americans. Visit www.BedandBreakfast.com for a complete list of "Valentines for Singles," or if romance is still on the agenda, see our list of Valentine's Day Specials.
Here are BedandBreakfast.com's 13 great ways to celebrate singlehood on Valentine's Day:
1. Best place to say "sayonara" - Austin Folk House, Austin, TX: Just about every inn has a romance package, but this inn also features an "unromantic" one, known as the "I'm dumping you" package. This tongue-in-cheek promotion includes everything from "crappy beer" to street vendor roses - all designed to say "I don't give a darn."
2. Best place to celebrate being single - Schafer Baillie Mansion , Seattle, WA: This 14,000-square-foot mansion may look traditionally Tudor in style, but amenities such as 32- or 50-inch flat-screen TVs, DVD/CD players, wi-fi access and more make hanging out and watching movies a special experience. Located on Millionaires Row, Volunteer Park and the hip restaurants and stores of Broadway are just a block away. B&B rates start at $139, making this affordable for single travelers too.
3. Best place to drown your sorrows - Camden Harbour Inn , Camden, ME: Recently renovated with 'Midcoast Manhattan' Euro-chic panache, the inn's restaurant, bar, and spacious living room are enticing, always bustling with friendly local and visiting folk. The lonely at heart will make friends quickly while enjoying exceptional food and a full array of cocktails. Retire to the elegant rooms with fabulous Camden Harbor views and decorated with contemporary flair, and even the loneliest of hearts will be calmed.
4. Best place to forget about him/her - Avenue Inn B&B , New Orleans: Take advantage of the "Breaking Up is Hard to Do, But I'll Get Over Him" package, where farewell recovery time is estimated at one fun-filled New Orleans weekend. This package includes three nights' accommodations for you and a platonic friend in two beds, along with two pints of Ben & Jerry's ice cream and a voodoo doll with permanent marker to indelibly blazon his or her name, pins included. A copy of the best-seller, He's Just Not That Into You, is also included, along with shopping coupons, massages, and the New Orleans Original Cocktail Tour, making this the perfect way to forget about your "ex" for only $369 per person.
5. Best place to make a pass - Allaire Timbers Inn, Breckenridge, CO: Come here if you want to make a pass or stay in a room named after one - mountain passes that is. This rugged all-log inn is anything but rustic. Fabulous skiing is around the corner by day, and hot tubs and river rock fireplaces for apr?s-ski. The nightlife and shops of Breckenridge are just a stumble down the hill, offering great options for a guys' or girlfriends' getaway.
6. Best place to get on with your life - Los Poblanos Inn and Cultural Center, Albuquerque, NM: Everything about this inn emanates peacefulness, from the artwork and award-winning architecture, to the lavender fields and sustainable eco-programs. Here, guests find a haven for introspection and creativity, coming away with a fresh perspective on the goodness in their lives.
7. Best place to throw the ring back - Inn on Bay Ledge, Bar Harbor, ME: If you're really, really sure it's over forever, pitch the ring into Frenchman's Bay from atop the 80-foot cliff that's home to the Inn on Bay Ledge, or just bliss out on the beautiful ocean views. Lighten your heart with a ride to the top of Cadillac Mountain and be the first to see the sunrise, and then spend the rest of your getaway healing the heartache amidst luxurious surroundings, gourmet breakfasts, exquisite scenery, and artful amenities.
8. Best place to sleep in separate beds - North Bridge Inn , Concord, MA: Geared toward single people traveling together, this inn offers many rooms with two beds and pull-out couches. Separate sitting areas mean if you're not talking to one another, you can each have your own space. There's even a two-bedroom suite for those who'd rather keep their distance while sleeping.
9. Best place to escape the dating scene - Bedlam B&B , Fountain Hills, AZ: While bedlam may be in its name, you'll find a charming B&B enhanced by scenic desert and mountain views. When you've had enough of dating pandemonium, this area's fountain (the tallest in the world) will remind you that you, too, can "rise" on your own.
10. When traveling with Rover beats travel with Ralph or Rachel - Lazy Dog Inn, Chocorua, NH: Chosen as the Most Pet Friendly B&B for two years running in the Best of BedandBreakfast.com Awards, this dog-friendly B&B offers a special doggie play area and doggie day care if you wish to go out on your own. Great hiking trails nearby mean there's plenty of room to romp with Rover - one companion who will never criticize you!
11. Best place to get the cold shoulder - Lake La Quinta Inn , Palm Springs, CA: If the conversation turns cold, at least the winds will always blow warm in Palm Springs, CA, at this Best of BedandBreakfast.com Most Romantic Inn 2004-05 winner. Chateau, Jacuzzi or Boathouse rooms all offer views of the lake and mountains to take your mind off the chilling relationship. In-room whirlpool tubs or the outdoor hot tub might be just what it takes to add some heat to the relationship.
12. Best place to ease a lonely heart - Two Hearts Inn , Edmond, OK: Pampering is the best way to ease a lonely heart. While it may be called Two Hearts, this inn has the answer for forlorn Valentines. Soak in a Jacuzzi tub, take in a comedy on the 42-inch TV, and drown your sorrows with the chocolate lover's basket filled with cookies, teas and chocolate treats.
13. Best way to get beyond the battlefield -- Passages Inn, Gettysburg, PA: Put him and the battle of the sexes behind you and indulge yourself in a fascinating vacation designed to engage and entertain. Tend to your "Home & Hearth" and leave him in the dust as you explore your creative side. Tend to your "Body & Soul" with metaphysical, spiritual, and holistic activities that will help you rise above it all. Pamper yourself and do it with a girlfriends' getaway.
For more Valentine's Day and Valentine's Day for Singles packages, visit www.BedandBreakfast.com, and click on the links on the left side of the page.
Changed your mind about the breakup? For a totally romantic gift, The Getaway Gift Card from BedandBreakfast.com can be customized with a photo of you and your loved one together!
BedandBreakfast.com is the leading online bed and breakfast directory and reservation network, listing over 6,600 B&Bs and inns throughout the United States and internationally. A variety of search functions and extensive maps enable inngoers to find the perfect B&B. Travelers can make reservations online, purchase The Getaway Gift CardT from BedandBreakfast.com welcomed at nearly 4,000 bed & breakfast inns in the U.S. and Canada, subscribe to free newsletters, and post questions on expert-hosted message boards.
Additionally, for information on a range of independently owned distinctive lodging, visit BedandBreakfast.com's sister site, www.Inns.com.
# # #