Tips for Reviewers
Please share your comments with the millions of travelers who visit BedandBreakfast.com. Please keep these guidelines in mind when writing a review:
- Be helpful: Describe the key elements of the accommodations, decor, hospitality, value, housekeeping, setting, and/or meals. What were the highlights of your stay? A comfortable bed and elegant decor? The convenient location? The delicious breakfasts and afternoon snacks? The hospitality of the innkeepers? Extra amenities and/or advice for business or vacation travel? If in the area again, would you return? Recommend to friends? Which times of the year are best for a visit, because of favorable rates, great activities, or best weather?
- Be both honest and fair: Just as it's not fair to compare a 99¢ fast-food burger with a $10 burger at a sit-down restaurant, it's not reasonable to expect the same standard from a B&B that charges $75 a night with a nearby property that charges double or triple that rate. If you're unhappy because the innkeepers enforced their stated cancellation policies, please remember that just like with an airline ticket, you were most likely made aware of this policy in advance. On the other hand, if you were disappointed by minor or major problems, issues, inconveniences, or bad service, please include full details, including whether you told the innkeepers about the problem, and how they responded. Things can go wrong in the best of B&Bs, and the difference between an average place and a great one is how the innkeepers address the problem when something unexpected occurs.
- Avoid hyperbole: Reviews that include only effusive praise or complete condemnation are rarely helpful or even credible. On the other hand, in the rare cases where a B&B is a totally unpleasant experience, we want to have the full story, so that other travelers can be warned.
- Please proofread! You cannot edit your review once posted. While we encourage you to review every inn you've visited, you may only post one review per inn annually.
- Innkeeper responses: There are at least two sides to every story (often three!). The reviews posted on BedandBreakfast.com are taken seriously by innkeepers. BedandBreakfast.com reserves the right for innkeepers to respond to any review.
We reserve the right to remove any content contributed to this website by innkeepers, guests or any other user of the website (each a “user”) which does not meet the following guidelines. Guest reviews, innkeeper responses and any other content submitted by a user are the subjective opinions of the user who posted the content. They are not our opinions and are not endorsed by us. BedandBreakfast.com, Inc. (“BedandBreakfast.com”) has no independent knowledge of and therefore expresses no opinion regarding the accuracy of the content provided by our users. BedandBreakfast.com does not represent or warrant the accuracy, completeness or reliability of the information.
No user of this website may contribute any content (including, but not limited to property listings, reviews and responses) which violate the following guidelines:
- The content must be directly related to its purpose. Examples include:
- Property listing descriptions must relate to the property and information that would be useful to a guest.
- Reviews of a property must focus on the guest’s experience with the property, which will typically focus on the stay but may address other factors relating to the booking process.
- Content posted in a forum must be relevant to the purpose of the forum and discussion.
- The content must not infringe anyone’s rights, violate the law or otherwise be inappropriate. Examples include but are not limited to:
- Personal information that can be used to identify or contact any person;
- Promotional content that would promote other websites, businesses, services or products unaffiliated with this website; and
- Obscene, abusive, discriminatory, or illegal content.
- Listings and reviews should be objective and accurate.
- Users who post content must have all legal rights to post the content.
- Users cannot post a review or response to blackmail or attempt to extort innkeepers or guests for money. The reviews are for the benefit of future guests, not to allow one party to threaten the other.
BedandBreakfast.com reserves the right to edit any content, length, tone, and/or appropriateness, and/or verify a guest’s stay at a property reviewed, and to reject or omit any review, in whole or in part.
To review a property, the guest must meet the following requirements:
- The guest reviewing a property must be able to provide evidence that the guest stayed at the property displayed on the listing (which must be the same property being reviewed).
- The guest must validate his or her identity or email as requested when submitting the review. A review may be written by any member of the booking party.
- Only one member of the booking party for any one stay at a property may write a review.
- A guest may contact Customer Support if he/she wishes to update or remove their review. Please note that we can only remove the review so that a new review can be resubmitted. We are not able to make any changes on a guest’s behalf.
- The guest must be at least 18 years of age.
- An innkeeper may not review his/her own property.
- A review must be submitted within one year of the date of stay.
- Guests may only post one (1) review per property per every three (3) months.
- BedandBreakfast.com can only post reviews submitted directly from guests, not those submitted on guests’ behalf by the innkeeper or employees of a property.
- Please note that the content of your review could subject you to liability if a person or business feels it is defamatory or damages their reputation.
- In the event of legal action pertaining to user-contributed content, we will remove the content pending resolution provided that appropriate documentation and proof is provided to us. Such content may be restored if the matter is resolved against the complaining party. Contact Customer Support if you have commenced such a legal action and want to request that we remove the user contributed content.
If you see a review or response that does not conform to the above guidelines, please contact Customer Support. We will investigate reported abuse and remove any content that we determine, in our sole discretion, violate any of these guidelines.
These Content Guidelines were last updated on April 7, 2014.
Reviews: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Why isn't my review posted? Most reviews are posted in one business day. Some reviews may take a week or more to investigate. Please note that we reserve the right to reject any reviews that violate our Review Guidelines, including the right to edit for clarity, verify your stay at any property you review, and to reject or omit any review. To review an inn, you must have actually stayed there in person.
How do I report an inaccurate or inappropriate review? Please email us through our web form, including your name and email address, along with the URL or other identifying details of the problem review. We will investigate the situation, although we do not promise to remove any reviews.
Can I edit or delete my review? At present, you cannot edit your own reviews once they are posted. If you want us to delete a review that you've submitted, please email us through our web form, including your name and email address, along with the URL or other identifying details of the review you wish to delete. Once we have determined that the request is in fact coming from the same person who posted the review, we will delete your review.
Are innkeepers allowed to approve the reviews before they are posted? No. Reviews that meet our guidelines will be posted regardless of innkeepers' preferences. BedandBreakfast.com reserves the right to verify the accuracy of all reviews.
Can I review other inns and B&Bs? Please do! You know how helpful reviews are when you’re looking for a place to stay, but the system works only if everyone contributes their comments. Click here, then enter the name of the inn you’d like to review. Once you are on the property’s listing page, click the link marked Review this Property. Our reviewers have a chance to win a $1000 BedandBreakfast.com Gift Card!
How can I tell if reviews are relevant to my tastes? On many of our reviews, you’ll see a link marked View Reviewer Info. Click this to find out the age of the reviewers, how often this person stays at B&Bs, how much he/she spends on lodging, and the reason for the trip. Use this helpful tool to line up your tastes and needs with those of other travelers.
What does it mean if an inn has no reviews posted? It probably means that it’s a delightful B&B waiting to be discovered. By all means, check it out, then please share your review with the rest of us!
What does it mean if an inn has lots of reviews posted? It may mean that it’s an outstanding inn; it may also indicate that a particular innkeeper is more pro-active than others about getting guests to post reviews.
Should I select a B&B just because it has great reviews? No! A property may have fantastic reviews, but not be a good choice for you for any number of reasons. If you’re traveling on business and must have high-speed Internet access, a B&B that’s “off the grid” won’t be a happy choice. If you’re planning a romantic getaway, an inn that caters to families shouldn’t top your list. In addition to its reviews, always check the property’s description and photos on BedandBreakfast.com, as well as the information on its own website.
Should I skip an inn because it has a negative or mixed review? No! The occasional negative or mixed review is a reminder that nothing is perfect. Sometimes either the guest or the innkeeper simply had a bad day, or that the B&B was just not a good match for certain guests. Sometimes guests agree to a cancellation policy, then get upset when the innkeepers enforce it; sometimes innkeepers get irritated because guests don’t understand how they run their business.