Murray's Famous Crunchy Seed Bread
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon each of honey and molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup mixed seeds (sunflower, poppy, flax, cracked wheat, sesame)
- Stir warm water and sugar together in a small bowl. Sprinkle yeast over top, and let stand 10 minutes. Stir to dissolve yeast.
- In large bowl or in metal bowl of KitchenAid mixer combine the yeast mixture plus honey, molasses, water and salt.
Add and work in the flours and seeds until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Knead, using your hands or the dough hook attachment, 8 to 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place in clean greased bowl, turning once to grease the top, or giving a spray of Pam. Cover with a tea towel, and let stand in the oven with the light on and door closed for about 1 hour until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down. Shape into loaf pan (we use a long baguette pan), 2 smaller loaf pans, or on round 9 inch cake tin. Cover with tea towel and let stand again in the oven with the light on and door closed for about 30 - 40 minutes until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake for about 25 - 20 minutes. Turn out onto racks to cool. Bread is cooked when it sounds hollow when tapped. Brush warm tops with butter if desired.
Enjoy with butter and home-made jam or preserves!