Cardamom-Prune Drop Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup non-fat yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup freshly grated lemon peel
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut up
- 3/4 cup (4 1/2 ounces) finely cut moist prunes
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Put flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, and salt into a large bowl; mix well.
- In another bowl, beat yogurt, egg, sugar, and lemon peel until well blended.
- Add butter to the flour mixture and cut in with a pastry blender or rub in with your fingers, until the mixture looks like fine granules. Add prunes and toss to distribute evenly.
- Add yogurt mixture and stir with a spoon until a sticky dough forms. Drop 1/3 cupfuls of dough 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Cool, loosely covered with a dishtowel, on a wire rack.
- 9 scones.