Seared Scallops with Radicchio Mango Rum Sauce
- 20 Scallops, medium size
- 2 Radicchio, sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic, chopped
- 2 Mango, ripe, peeled, seeded and rough chopped
- 1 Onion, small, sliced thin
- 1/4 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 cup Dark Rum
- For the Sauce:-Lightly oil a sauté pan and over medium high heat, add the onion, jalapeno pepper and garlic and cook until slightly browned. Add the mango and cook for about 5 min until the mango begins to break down. Remove the pan completely from the stove and add the dark rum and return to the heat (BE CAREFUL AT THIS POINT BECAUSE THE RUM MIGHT FLAME UP! If it does the alcohol should burn off rather quickly, just be careful of the flame). Once the alcohol has burned off, add the sugar and simmer an additional 5-10 minutes until the mango and onion are very soft. Puree the mixture in a blender until smooth. If the sauce is a bit to thick, you can thin it out with a orange juice. Season with Salt and Pepper.
- For the scallops:-Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Brown the scallops nicely on both sides in a non stick pan.
- For the radicchio:-Heat a sauté pan over high heat. Add 3 Tbsp of olive oil. Quickly toss in the radicchio and garlic. Sauté until the radicchio begins to wilt. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- To serve, place a little of the radicchio in the center of the plate. Drizzle the sauce around the radicchio and place the scallops down in a star pattern. Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh chopped chives and parsley.